Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Good Day (It's Amazing What Sleep Can Do)

You know the sleep that is so deep that when you wake up you don't know where you are, what time it is, or even what day it is? That is the kind of nap I got yesterday. Lucy cooperated and we both took a 2 hour nap. I slept through phone calls, my alarm clock, and when I woke up at 2PM, it felt like it was 8AM after a full night's sleep. Lucy also took her feeds smoothly overnight, so I got >1 hour of sleep between each feed. While I am still tired, I didn't feel like I was going to fall asleep in the shower today. (That almost happened yesterday!)

Main Dish Kitchen is one of those places that you can make your meals ahead of time, freeze them, and then thaw and cook them as you need. I also like Dream Dinners, but Main Dish will prepare the meals for you which is what I wanted. I went over yesterday and picked up 10 different meals. The first one that we ate last night was good, and it was a nice change from the frozen chicken nuggets and tater tots.

Early On is a program that "assists families with infants and toddlers, from birth until they turn 36 months or 3 years of age, who may be experiencing delays in their development or if they have a diagnosed disability". Because Lucy was premature, she would qualify for any services she may need that they can offer. With Lucy still struggling to eat (especially breastfeed), I submitted a request for an evaluation. The intake coordinator and a physical therapist came by to evaluate Lucy today. She was wide awake and did really well. They were impressed with what she can do and said her feeding issues will probably just resolve with more time and practice.

Lucy went to the ENT doctor today and had her frenulum snipped. It was a very, very quick procedure. The doctor took two cotton swabs with lidocaine and put them on either side of the frenulum to numb it. We then gave her some sucrose. The doctor used a metal piece (kind of the opposite of a tongue depressor) to hold the tongue up and then he simply used a small scissor to snip the tissue. It bled a little and we gave Lucy some more sucrose, but she quickly recovered. We've only had a couple feedings since then, so it's too soon to notice a difference, but I do see that her tongue can come further out of her mouth.

She and I then went by my work to see my coworkers and then to our New Mom's Club. I enjoy going to the different community groups. I learn so much and it's nice to see other moms going through the same thing as Lucy and I. Tomorrow is a La Leche meeting and on Friday I plan to go to the Breastfeeding Cafe again.

Because Lucy's potassium was 5.6 on Monday, we increased the amount of potassium-removed (via Kayexalate) milk. We will wait until next Wednesday to get more blood drawn. If her potassium is still 5.6 or lower, we will then wait until her next clinic visit (August 24) for more labs.

No comments:

Post a Comment