Friday, August 14, 2009

Sleep Deprived = Easily Amused

We bought Lucy one of those aquariums for her crib. It has 4 different songs, 3 different nature sounds, and has lights and bubbles and fish that move around. However, as Lucy is just now starting to look at things and watch them, Kris and I are getting more entertainment out of the aquarium than she is. Late at night, as I am feeding her, I find the soothing sounds putting me to sleep while she remains wide wake. This version also came with a remote so that you can turn it on from across the room and not have to go over to the crib where the baby may see you. Turns out that the VCR remote also can turn the aquarium off and on - the aquarium is not haunted, broken, and I'm not crazy (all initial thoughts when it was mysteriously turning off and on). Finally, the soothing sounds can be relaxing when I need to take a break. I really, really needed a nap yesterday, but Lucy was not cooperating. I finally got her to sleep but she was laying in the pack 'n play in the living room with the aquarium and I didn't want to move her to the bassinet in the bedroom where I wanted to lay down. So I set up our new baby monitor next to her, and as I fell asleep I listened to the aquarium through the monitor. Overall, a great purchase.

Lucy's potassium level on Wednesday was 5.4. We are very pleased and will not have to do blood work again until Aug 24 when she sees the doctors again. We continue to give her the sodium supplements and remove the potassium from the breast milk with the kayexalate.

I have to give a big thank you to the librarian at the Traverwood branch of the Ann Arbor library. I had accrued some late fees from books that didn't get returned on time when Lucy was born. I went to the library yesterday to pay my fees, and because I didn't want to be judged as a bad library patron, I casually explained why the books didn't get returned in time. The kind librarian waived the fees for me. Unexpected but greatly appreciated. Another reason why libraries are my favorite places in the world.

I've started to look at day cares for Lucy. I know that eventually I will need to go back to work, and someone will need to watch Lucy. I went to see one (Child Time) this week and I have appointments at the University of Michigan's day care and Gretchen's House next Monday. I wasn't sure if they would willing to give Lucy her feeds through the NG tube, but it doesn't seem to be an issue. They all say I just need to teach the day care teacher how to use the NG tube.

Lucy and I took my car in to be be looked at earlier this week. (It was making a noise when I turned left.) Because it was so warm outside, I knew both Lucy and I would be uncomfortable with her in the Moby wrap, so I decided to put her in the stroller. We walked around Arborland shopping center to purchase a couple things. Lucy didn't do so well in the stroller (or maybe it was the heat). She was fuzzy a good portion of the time and while I know that other people know that babies cry, I still feel bad when in a public place with a crying Lucy.

1 comment: